Pry Update & Console Suggestions

This forum is to talk geek-like about games ... have fun.

Moderators: Mustangz, Tourniquet, Badges

Poll: What's the best console right now?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm

X-Box One
50%
Playstation 4
50%
Nintendo Switch
No votes
Total votes: 2

prytanis
The Real Deal
The Real Deal

Pry Update & Console Suggestions

Post#1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm

What's up, Fockers? Been a while since I visited the boards. Doesn't seem to be much action in the Off the Wall, so posting this here.

Some of you may have heard, but I was recently diagnosed with Stage IV oral cancer. I had been having issues with facial pain and other symptoms since the middle of last year which resulted in me taking a medical leave from work in November to get some answers. This resulted in some scans showing a mass in the floor of my mouth that turned out to be cancerous.

I will be having surgery on March 13th at the University of Michigan. Surgery will be followed by radiation and possibly chemo. In addition, I'll be participating in a clinical trial of the immunotherapy drug pembrolizumab. You may have seen commercials for its brand name, Keytruda. It's already approved for other cancers, but they are doing the study to see if it is effective in treating head & neck cancers.

In any case, I will be laid up for a while. I already plan to get going on Star Wars for mobile gaming, but thinking about getting a console again too. Any recommendations on XBox One vs. PS4? What about Nintendo Switch? Let me know what you guys think on that and any games that I should check out too. I will still have the PC gaming as an option of course, but at least for the first few months my left hand won't be working very well. Along with the procedure to remove the tumor, there will also be what's called free flap surgery that transplants tissue from my left wrist to reconstruct half of my tongue and a portion of my mouth floor.

So...that's about it for now. I included a bunch of links for those that want to learn more about this craziness. I appreciate any prayers and positive vibes you can send my way. It's going to be a long road, but the prognosis is good. For updates on my progress you can check here periodically: Rich, Kristen, & Adela. This is not intended to be a solicitation. It's just where my wife will be posting the latest status.

Thanks, fockers! I hope everyone is doing well!

Tourniquet
The Grumpy Rocket Scientist

Re: Pry Update & Console Suggestions

Post#2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Hey buddy, sorry to hear about this life challenge hitting you hard. I wish you well in the recovery. Although not nearly on the level of your pain, I had a major shoulder surgery a year ago and it has been a long and painful recovery.

As for games, the only game that folks have really stuck with over the last few years has been Rocket League. Some games have come and gone, like Vermintide, and the latest craze is PUBG and Fortnite. I'm back in Iraq for another year, so I don't have much playtime and the internet is too crappy here to play online, so I just do practice mode in Rocket League and then play online with friends during my vacations. There's been a pretty solid crew playing over the last 2+ years, so if you wanted to jump into that, it would be my top suggestion. You can play it on a console (all 3 of them), but you'll get better framerates on a PC, so no reason not to. It doesn't take a hotrod machine, as evidenced by it being playable on consoles. Most of us use Xbox controllers (which was totally foreign to me and I was a nightmare of a player for quite a while), but there are pro players that use mouse/keyboard, so there are no real advantages (some would even argue there are advantages to mouse/keyboard). A bonus of this game and you coming in late is that everything is cosmetic, you don't have to worry about gearing up, catching up in levels, memorizing strategies, maps, boss encounters, stats, min/maxing, etc. It is like playing a sports game - you are as good as your skill is, and gaining skill just takes practice. There is a wealth of videos on youtube for beginner guides, suggested button configurations (I'd suggest you don't use the default controls), and camera/view settings that can make your learning experience easier.

Tourniquet

Post#3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Some other games that come to mind - Mordheim, XCOM:The Enemy Unknown (it is a remake of the 90s game), and Civilization 6. I played a bunch on these, especially Mordheim, while I was unable to use my left hand/arm after surgery. They are turn based, so it helps old men like us :)

Tourniquet

Post#4 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey Rich, just checking in. How you recovering? The link you left in this looks like it is no longer good (appears they were bought out by gofundme). Hope you're doing better buddy!

Return to “General Game Discussion”