Star Wars: The Force Awakens (no spoilers)

Open forum for all to discuss anything and everything non-game related..

Moderators: Mustangz, Tourniquet, Badges

Tourniquet
The Grumpy Rocket Scientist

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (no spoilers)

Post#1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:43 pm

I really liked it. What did you guys think? It makes me want to play some Tie Fighter or SWTOR.

Khasz
The Real Deal
The Real Deal

Post#2 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:48 pm

Loved it though I did have a few small problems with the movie that I can't discuss here. :)
Steam Profile
Blizzard: Higgy345#1361
Epic, Origin, uPlay, Bethesda: Higgy345
The world needs more game launchers

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#3 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:40 am

ive been playing swtor just to get in the spirit of it. havent went to see it yet but plan on it next weekend.
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#4 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:13 pm

just to let you know kev, not sure how serious you were about playing swtor but they changed the leveling process quite a bit. you can now pretty much level solely off the class missions. and they added a feature to where you can do some of the flashpoints solo.

as someone who enjoys the story of the game i find it very easy to appreciate what theyve done and ive just been leveling alts to go thru the different choices. been pretty fun for the whole 5 minutes ive been able to play :cry:

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#5 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:35 pm

so i went and saw this over the weekend. without talking specifics was anyone else just a tad underwhelmed at how similar this movie was to number four?

Tourniquet

Post#6 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:10 pm

I wouldn't say underwhelmed, but I did see a ton of parallel story with 4.

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#7 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 pm

maybe underwhelmed is too strong of a word. i liked the movie but it failed to live up to my expectations for it.

i just felt like the character development and the overall plot was quite similar to those in episode 4. just a tad too predictable for me :?

prytanis
The Real Deal
The Real Deal

Post#8 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Dokilar wrote:maybe underwhelmed is too strong of a word. i liked the movie but it failed to live up to my expectations for it.

i just felt like the character development and the overall plot was quite similar to those in episode 4. just a tad too predictable for me :?

I think that's gonna wind up being the point. The two stories are supposed to be parallels of one another.

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#9 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:05 pm

the more ive read about it that does in fact seem to be the case. i guess my only question/concern is why? im fully aware of the running joke that hollywood is incapable of coming up with original content but as far as movies goes this was pretty damn similar.

i cant stress enough that im not hating on the film, as it appears anyone who disagrees with it is labeled a hate on social media, but i guess id just expect a little more. it looks like its basically going to go the route of the first six movies. we're going to have a rehashed episode 4, 5 and 6 and then because so much time has passed since the end of 6 they could get away with doing a prequel sequel...

Tourniquet

Post#10 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:57 pm

My guess is that they wanted to redo the original 3 movies, to follow the 3 new (epi 1-3) movies, using today's animation/technology, etc. This would have multiple negatives, like having to recast iconic people like Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, etc. Combine that with any deviation from the original "holy" three storyline/events/interpretations and you'd have a Star Wars civil war level backlash on your hands. I'm sure they didn't want to chance that. So a way of keeping all the original cast, leave the original stories how they are, and even better, bring them all together, but use those scripts to a certain amount by making them parallel stories makes everyone happy.

I don't have any issue with the parallels, it actually fits perfectly with the original methodology behind Lucas's story being based on Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces. If you aren't familiar with this idea, I suggest you check it out. I took a class in college that talked a bunch about this and found it pretty neat, even if you're not a Star Wars fan, but especially if you are. Once you see it, you'll start to see it in pretty much every good "hero" movie.

Return to “Off the Wall”