computer issue, any suggestions?

Open forum for all to discuss anything and everything non-game related..

Moderators: Mustangz, Tourniquet, Badges

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

computer issue, any suggestions?

Post#1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:11 pm

so a few weeks back my dog got tangled up in my headset cable and drug my glass of soda off my desk and unfortunately some of it went down inside my case thru the top fan.

i shut it off as quick as i could and got as much of it dried as i could visibly see. there wasnt a lot of it that spilled, maybe a tablespoons worth. anyways i left the side of the case off and let air blow in it for a few hours.

i powered it back up and amazingly everything was getting power but it wouldnt boot. frustrated i shut it off and unplugged it and hooked up everything to my old pc. a day or two later i decided to give it one last try and miraculously after turning it on it booted up just fine.

windows did some updates later that evening and i shut it down when i went to bed, however when i powered it back up the next day i was again back to square one and it wouldnt boot. this time i decided i would check some stuff and see if it was a component that might be bad. the hard drive, ram and video card all seem to work fine in my other pc so at this point i can only assume its likely the motherboard thats bad, however i figured id ask some of you guys and see what you think.

as long as i keep the pc running everything works fine, ive even been able to restart it without any problems, but if i turn it off and then turn it back on then it doesnt boot. however if i unplug and let it sit for a day or so, then turn it back on it boots up normally. any advice would be appreciated, im probably not going to spend much money to fix it as its a couple years old and ill probably be looking to build a new one soon. it just seems weird that it works fine and then once it loses power it just suddenly stops working until i unplug it for a day or so. thanks in advance!
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Tourniquet
The Grumpy Rocket Scientist
The Grumpy Rocket Scientist

Post#2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:32 pm

My immediate thoughts are that the PS or the mobo is shorting. If that is true, it isn't worth replacing either if it is an old machine. Just leave it running all the time. You could try putting it in sleep/hibernate and see what it does too.

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#3 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Yea I've read on a few sites that the psu could be shorting, i guess i could pull it out and take it to get it tested. I intially also thought that the mobo was trashed i just figured id get some opinions. ill be looking into gettin some prices for a new build here in the next month or so
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Return to “Off the Wall”