Crowfall MMO

This forum is to talk geek-like about games ... have fun.

Moderators: Mustangz, Tourniquet, Badges

Khasz
The Real Deal
The Real Deal

Crowfall MMO

Post#1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:00 am

From the makers of Shadowbane (awesome PVP game from back in the day if you never played it.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cr ... war-pc-mmo

Pretty excited about this if they deliver.

Mustangz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#2 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Looks/sounds awesome. I'll be willing to try it out for sure.

Khasz
The Real Deal
The Real Deal

Post#3 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:52 am

Castle siege pre-alpha footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWoQTOQ9pIk

Tourniquet
The Grumpy Rocket Scientist

Re: Crowfall MMO

Post#4 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 pm

They are having weekly alpha testing now and allowing people to stream, so I've been watching some and it has me more interested now. The "hardcore" PvP ruleset, rather simplistic controls, but very deep progression looks good. The campaign structure looks really unique and very adaptive based on what ends up being successful, so it should help them adjust to the (many) playerbases. I especially like the Eve-like training method - nice for us old guys with jobs, family, etc. It should help us keep pace with the kiddies that play 18 hours a day.

The FAQ is pretty good on the site - here's the info on campaigns: https://www.crowfall.com/en/faq/campaign/

Mustangz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Tourniquet wrote:They are having weekly alpha testing now and allowing people to stream, so I've been watching some and it has me more interested now. The "hardcore" PvP ruleset, rather simplistic controls, but very deep progression looks good. The campaign structure looks really unique and very adaptive based on what ends up being successful, so it should help them adjust to the (many) playerbases. I especially like the Eve-like training method - nice for us old guys with jobs, family, etc. It should help us keep pace with the kiddies that play 18 hours a day.

The FAQ is pretty good on the site - here's the info on campaigns: https://www.crowfall.com/en/faq/campaign/

Explain a little about what you are getting at with the comparison to Eve-like training. I didn't play that game, and am curious as to how casual players can keep up with hardcore players?

Dokilar
WTF?!?
WTF?!?

Post#6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:06 am

i didnt play it much so kev can probably correct me but in eve the training/professions was a big time sink in that they couldnt just be completed by playing 18 hours a day. they could also be learned and trained while you were offline, so you could research something and log off for the night and then the next day it would be completed
"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Tourniquet

Post#7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm

In Eve (and in Crowfall), you don't increase your sword skill by swinging the sword in combat, or by buying skill Totem of whatever from a trainer. Think of the skill trees in Path of Exile, but instead of hitting level 2 and it giving you a "point" to spend and instantly acquire the skill, you instead select the skill and it is queued up to train. In Eve, some skills, usually the beginner skills, took minutes to train. After you got the first level of it, it bumped up to hours and beyond. There were skills that I trained towards the end of my time with Eve that literally took 30+ days of real time to complete. At the end, you had access to that skill. It didn't matter how much money (in game or real) you had, or how many hours you played the game, it took everyone those same 30+ days to train that skill. So the power gamers that are on Eve 20 hours a day didn't have access to any skills that me, playing an hour or so a week, didn't have access to. As long as you remember to log in (and there are apps for this exact purpose) and queue up training on skills, then it continued to chug away while you were offline or playing.

So, despite what I had been told for a long time, which prevented me from giving Eve a try earlier, Eve actually doesn't HAVE to be a huge time sink the way other MMOs can be. You certainly can make it just as big if not bigger (knowledge is the biggest resource and weapon in Eve).

I don't foresee Crowfall being nearly as in depth as Eve, so I don't think it is a complete fair comparison, but the training does look to be very similar and should hopefully be better for folks like us with house, wife, kids, etc.

The campaign system looks like a good system for folks with bursts of playtime too and a way to have an even playing field in a repeated fashion. Think of what it is like when a new MMO server goes up with player wipe. This will happen over and over within the campaigns, each time a new one starts. (there are no levels in Crowfall, it is all about your skill progression described above) The FAQs on the website are really good, I'd suggest the campaign one if you haven't read up on it - https://www.crowfall.com/en/faq/campaign/

Return to “General Game Discussion”